- 2013 Senior Lecturer, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Monash University (Berwick).
- 2011-2012 Senior Lecturer, Division of Health Care Practice, AUT University (0.5 FTE). Roles include: Co-ordinator of first year Primary Health Care Nursing paper: Co-ordinator of Masters of Health Science (Mental Health Pathway) in Auckland and Wellington; Clinical educator in Health Assessment in Nursing. PhD supervisor with Professor Marilyn Waring; Moderator for Concepts of Recovery in Mental Health-Bachelor of Health Science (Occupational Therapy).
- 2005 – June 2011 Senior Research Fellow/Centre Co-ordinator, Centre for Asian and Migrant Health Research, National Institute for Public Health and Mental Health Research, Auckland University of Technology (0.5 FTE) and Programme Leader, Bachelor of Health Science in Health Promotion (0.5FTE).
- 2008 Senior Research Fellow/Centre Co-ordinator, Centre for Asian and Migrant Health Research, National Institute for Public Health and Mental Health Research, Auckland University of Technology (0.5 FTE) and Coordinator Grad Cert/Dip Addictions, Community Health Development (0.5FTE).
- 2005-2008 Senior Research Fellow/Centre Co-ordinator, Centre for Asian and Migrant Health Research, National Institute for Public Health and Mental Health Research, Auckland University of Technology.
- 2004 Lecturer, Graduate Diploma of Higher Education, School of Education, Unitec (0.5FTE)..
- 1998 – 2004 Programme Co-ordinator/Programme Leader, School of Health and Community Studies, Unitec.
- 1995 – 1998 Nurse Specialist Maternal Mental Health, Auckland Healthcare, Greenlane Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1995 – 1995 Community Mental Health Nurse, St Lukes Community Mental Health Centre, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1994 – 1995 Staff Nurse, National Women’s Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1993 – 1994 Community Mental Health Nurse, St Lukes Community Mental Health Centre, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1992 – 1992 Staff Nurse, Taharoto / North Shore Mental Health Unit, Auckland
- 1991 – 1992 Staff Nurse, Maidstone Hospital Psychiatric Wing, Kent England
- 1989 – 1990 Overseas travel and bureau work, Switzerland, England, Israel
- 1988 – 1989 Staff Nurse, Carrington Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1988 – 1988 Staff Nurse, Auckland Drug Dependency Clinic, Auckland, New Zealand
- 2011- PhD (Nursing), supervisors Professor David Allen (University of Washington) and Dr Deborah Payne (AUT University)
- 2009- Te Kākano One – Introduction to Te Reo Māori, AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand
- 2002- Master of Arts (Nursing), Massey University, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1996- Graduate Diploma in Advance Nursing Practice (Counselling) Auckland Institute of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1986- Diploma of Nursing, Auckland Technical Institute, Auckland, New Zealand
Honours and Awards
- 2010 Bhatiya Samaj award for contribution to the Indian community (Nominated by the Goan community).
- 2009 Vice Chancellor’s staff PhD completion award.
- 2007 Acknowledgment from Race Relations Commissioner for outstanding contributions to race relations in New Zealand.
- 2005, 2006 Acknowledgment from Race Relations Commissioner for positive contributions to race relations in New Zealand.
- 2005 Like Minds Project Respect Award.
- 1985 Rotary Youth Leadership Award
- Board member of Asia New Zealand Foundation (2007-present)
- Board member of Counties Manukau District Health Board (2008-2010)
- Founding member of the Lottery Community Sector Research Committee (2008-present)
National committees/Reference groups
- NZ Mental Health Literacy Programme Reference Group (2009-2010)
- Guidelines Technical Advisory Group (GTAG) for the development of evidence based guidelines for the management and treatment of overweight and obesity for children/youth and adults in New Zealand (2008-2009).
- National service specifications for specialist mental health and addictions- Asian and Refugee services (2009)
- Te Pou Asian, refugee and migrant research agendas (2007).
- Community Development Review: Auckland City Council (2007).
- Public Health Reference Group for Improving Nutrition, Health Sponsorship Council (2006-2007).
- Creative New Zealand Advisory panel for project Arts attendance and participation within Asian communities (2006-2007)
- Member and Deputy Chair of the West Auckland Living Skills Homes Trust Inc (WALSH Trust) 2005-2008
- Waitemata DHB mental health strategic workforce development plan steering committee (2007)
- Waitemata DHB District Mental Health & Addictions Plan – Asian Chapter Development (2008-2010)
- Counties Manukau DHB Mental Health and Addiction Network Committee (2008-2010)
- Member of the ARMS Trustee Appointment Committee (appointee of the Auckland City Council)
- Mayoral Task Force on Family Violence (Waitakere City Council 2007).
- Chair, research sub-committee Auckland Regional Migrant Services Trust (ARMS), 2002-2006
- Member Indian Health and Social Services Group (Founding member)
- Member Sky City Asian Problem Gambling reference group
- Board member Asian Social Services New Zealand, 2002 -2004
- Inaugural Board member Auckland Regional Migrant Services Trust (ARMS), 2002-2006