Bio & CV
I am the Academic Convenor of The Data, Systems and Society Research Network (DSSRN), a collaborative research network across the University of Melbourne. I am also an Honorary Senior Research Fellow at The Health and Biomedical Informatics Centre (HaBIC) where I am co-supervising a PhD about the Quality management of patient generated health data (PGHD) from wearables for clinical use.
Prior to taking up this role, I was the Stream Leader of Research, Policy and Evaluation at the Centre for Culture, Ethnicity and Health (CEH) at North Richmond Community Health from 2015-2018.
I have had extensive experience as a researcher and academic in New Zealand and Australia. I also worked as a Senior Lecturer in Nursing at Monash University, Berwick (2013-2016), where I was the course co-ordinator and campus lead. I taught Year 2 Mental health clinical practice, Contexts of health care and the Education unit in third year. I also developed a new unit on Diversity in healthcare. I was the Chief Examiner and co-ordinator of Contemporary nursing in context in the Master of Nursing Practice.
Prior to moving to Australia, I was at AUT University, Auckland (2005-2012) where I coordinated the Centre for Asian and Migrant Health Research for six years, was the Programme leader for the Bachelor of Health Science (Health Promotion) and taught and led two first year papers Health Assessment in Nursing and Primary health Care. I developed a new stream within the Master of Health Science: Advanced Nursing Practice, Mental Health. At Unitec (1998-2004) I developed and taught the National Certificate in Mental Health Support Work and taught research and communication papers in the Bachelor of Nursing. I taught Supervision in the Master of Health Science and in the Graduate Diploma of Higher Education in the School of Education. Prior to working in education, I was a clinician in mental health and maternal mental health.
Included in my extensive governance experience have been appointments to the Boards of Counties Manukau District Health; Asia New Zealand Foundation and the Lotteries Community Sector Research Grant Committee.
- 2018 Academic Convenor of The Data, Systems and Society Research Network (DSSRN), University of Melbourne.
- 2018 Honorary Senior Research Fellow role at The Health and Biomedical Informatics Centre (HaBIC), University of Melbourne.
- 2015 Operational Lead, Berwick Campus, School of Nursing and Midwifery.
- 2015 Stream Leader, Research, Policy and Evaluation, Centre for Culture, Ethnicity and Health.
- 2013 -2015 Director of Community Engagement, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Monash University.
- 2013 (June-December). Acting Head of School, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Monash University (Berwick).
- 2013 -present Senior Lecturer, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Monash University (Berwick).
- 2011-2012 Senior Lecturer, Division of Health Care Practice, AUT University (0.5 FTE). Roles include: Co-ordinator of first year Primary Health Care Nursing paper: Co-ordinator of Masters of Health Science (Mental Health Pathway) in Auckland and Wellington; Clinical educator in Health Assessment in Nursing. PhD supervisor with Professor Marilyn Waring; Moderator for Concepts of Recovery in Mental Health-Bachelor of Health Science (Occupational Therapy).
- 2005 – June 2011 Senior Research Fellow/Centre Co-ordinator, Centre for Asian and Migrant Health Research, National Institute for Public Health and Mental Health Research, Auckland University of Technology (0.5 FTE) and Programme Leader, Bachelor of Health Science in Health Promotion (0.5FTE).
- 2008 Senior Research Fellow/Centre Co-ordinator, Centre for Asian and Migrant Health Research, National Institute for Public Health and Mental Health Research, Auckland University of Technology (0.5 FTE) and Coordinator Grad Cert/Dip Addictions, Community Health Development (0.5FTE).
- 2005-2008 Senior Research Fellow/Centre Co-ordinator, Centre for Asian and Migrant Health Research, National Institute for Public Health and Mental Health Research, Auckland University of Technology.
- 2004 Lecturer, Graduate Diploma of Higher Education, School of Education, Unitec (0.5FTE)..
- 1998 – 2004 Programme Co-ordinator/Programme Leader, School of Health and Community Studies, Unitec.
- 1995 – 1998 Nurse Specialist Maternal Mental Health, Auckland Healthcare, Greenlane Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1995 – 1995 Community Mental Health Nurse, St Lukes Community Mental Health Centre, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1994 – 1995 Staff Nurse, National Women’s Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1993 – 1994 Community Mental Health Nurse, St Lukes Community Mental Health Centre, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1992 – 1992 Staff Nurse, Taharoto / North Shore Mental Health Unit, Auckland
- 1991 – 1992 Staff Nurse, Maidstone Hospital Psychiatric Wing, Kent England
- 1989 – 1990 Overseas travel and bureau work, Switzerland, England, Israel
- 1988 – 1989 Staff Nurse, Carrington Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1988 – 1988 Staff Nurse, Auckland Drug Dependency Clinic, Auckland, New Zealand
- 2011- PhD (Nursing), supervisors Professor David Allen (University of Washington, Seattle) and Dr Deborah Payne (AUT University, Auckland)
- 2009- Te Kākano One – Introduction to Te Reo Māori, AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand
- 2002- Master of Arts (Nursing), Massey University, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1996- Graduate Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice (Counselling) Auckland Institute of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1987- Diploma of Nursing, Auckland Technical Institute, Auckland, New Zealand
- 2018 Awarded Fellowship of the Australian College of Nursing (ACN). Fellowship is a prestigious member status awarded to nurses in recognition of significant professional achievement. Fellowship recognises the experience and contribution of nurse leaders to ACN and the profession.
- 2013 Exceptional contribution to the enhancement of the School of Nursing and Midwifery, School of Nursing and Midwifery staff awards (Monash University).
- 2010 Bhatiya Samaj award for contribution to the Indian community (Nominated by the Goan community, New Zealand).
- 2009 Vice Chancellor’s staff PhD completion award.
- 2007 Acknowledgment from Race Relations Commissioner for outstanding contributions to race relations in New Zealand.
- 2005, 2006 Acknowledgment from Race Relations Commissioner for positive contributions to race relations in New Zealand.
- 2005 Like Minds Project Respect Award.
- 1985 Rotary Youth Leadership Award.
- Health Informatics Society of Australia
- Australian Women’s and Gender Studies Association
- The Australian Motherhood Initiative for Research and Community Involvement (AMIRCI)
- Australian College of Nursing
- Royal Society of New Zealand
- Affiliate member of the Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Nurses and Midwives (CATSINAM)
- Board member of Asia New Zealand Foundation (2007-2013).
- Board member of Counties Manukau District Health Board (2008-2010).
- Founding member of the Lottery Community Sector Research Committee (2008-2012).
- Member and Deputy Chair of the West Auckland Living Skills Homes Trust Inc (WALSH Trust) 2005-2008
- Board member Asian Social Services New Zealand, 2002 -2004
- Inaugural Board member Auckland Regional Migrant Services Trust (ARMS), 2002-2006.
International committees/Reference groups
- Steering committee member of The Centre for Global Migrations Research Theme at Otago University, Dunedin, New Zealand.
- Associate of the Centre for Applied Cross-cultural Research Te Pae Rangahau Tauhōkai Ahurea, Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Scientific Committee of the 1st World Congress on Migration, Ethnicity, Race and Health – Diversity and Health, 17-19 May 2018 – Edinburgh, Scotland.
National committees/Reference groups
- Project Reference Group. Fair Play Access and Inclusion Project for the Creative Industries in Victoria, Diversity Arts Australia (DARTS). (2019).
- Advisory Committee. The QTIPoC (Queer and Trans Indigenous and/or People of Colour) project, Switchboard Victoria (2018-2019).
- Member of the sub-working group on refugee women’s health within The Migrant and Refugee Women’s Health Initiative (a joint project by The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and Migration Council Australia) (2017-2019)
- Victorian Transcultural Mental Health Reference group (2016-present)
- NZ Mental Health Literacy Programme Reference Group (2009-2010)
- Guidelines Technical Advisory Group (GTAG) for the development of evidence based guidelines for the management and treatment of overweight and obesity for children/youth and adults in New Zealand (2008-2009).
- National service specifications for specialist mental health and addictions- Asian and Refugee services (2009)
- Waitemata DHB District Mental Health & Addictions Plan – Asian Chapter Development (2008-2010)
- Counties Manukau DHB Mental Health and Addiction Network Committee (2008-2010)
- Member of the ARMS Trustee Appointment Committee (appointee of the Auckland City Council)
- Waitemata DHB mental health strategic workforce development plan steering committee (2007)
- Mayoral Task Force on Family Violence (Waitakere City Council 2007).
- Te Pou Asian, refugee and migrant research agendas (2007).
- Community Development Review: Auckland City Council (2007).
- Public Health Reference Group for Improving Nutrition, Health Sponsorship Council (2006-2007).
- Creative New Zealand Advisory panel for project Arts attendance and participation within Asian communities (2006-2007)
- Chair, research sub-committee Auckland Regional Migrant Services Trust (ARMS), 2002-2006
- Member Indian Health and Social Services Group (Founding member)
- Member Sky City Asian Problem Gambling reference group